SUCCESS!!! Another cooking show (a.k.a. the Fall Educational Conference and Membership Meeting) is in the recipe books.
I again extend my thanks to Saline County LSP for hosting a succcessful educational conference and membership meeting. Thank you to all AALS members who were present and participated. I appreciate you being the “yeast” and active ingredient in this RECIPE FOR SUCCESS.
If you were unable to attend this cooking show you were missed and you missed some outstanding education. Saturday’s speakers were Officer Moore and Officer Hill from the Little Rock Police Department. Officer Moore spoke on active shooter situations and Officer Hill did a self defense type CLE. You missed seeing me get chosen as the active ingredient in Officer Hill’s demonstration (I was the mugger/attacker). As a visual, Officer Hill is a short female and I was a lot taller than she was, but she was wearing a gun!! She was, and is, a tough little cookie, and I wouldn’t like to be a real mugger/attacker with her on the opposite side of me! Also, you missed some great silent auction items and the chance to win in the 50/50 drawing.
If you missed this weekend’s cooking show, I hope you will consider attending the next cooking show (a.k.a. Winter Educational and Membership meeting), which is being hosted by NEALSP. This show is scheduled for January 26, 2019, in Jonesboro. Full details will be forthcoming in the next issue of The Informer, which will be published in December. The membership approved two free registrations to be given away for this meeting, so be on the lookout for an email regarding these free registrations about three weeks prior to the January 26, 2019 date.
EXCITEMENT!! The proposal from White County LSP was accepted as presented. The 2019 annual meeting will be held in Searcy, Arkansas on May 3-4, 2019, and we strongly encourage you to mark that date on your calendar NOW! Those (including me) White County members made a vivid presentation of their theme for the meeting, which will be “Kentucky Derby”, and announced:
Please join us for the most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports!!! In May, 2019, we will welcome you to Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, via Searcy, Arkansas.
This annual meeting will be Kentucky Derby Style!!! Please don your best derby hat, fascinator, and Derby clothes for Friday night’s Winner’s Circle banquet, where we will feast on foods favored by the Derby.
We encourage you to participate in our shenanigans and follow our theme. Prizes will be awarded for the best Derby outfit and for the best Derby hat.
Run Baby Run!!! Choose your jockey silks and have a Mint Julep with us. What are YOUR odds??? Let’s have a lucky day and Run for the Roses!!
In other business:
• The minutes of the 2018 Spring Membership Meeting were revised and approved, which will be published in the next issue of The Informer.
• Two reports from the Financial Review Committee were approved, both of which will be published in the next issue of The Informer.
• The Treasurer’s report that was submitted to you last week was approved subject to financial review.
• The membership approved the recommendation to offer a $500 Scholarship and a $500 Grant for the 2019 year. You will receive notification from the Scholarship Chair of those deadlines.
• Nominations and Elections for 2019-2020 will be happening soon. You will be receiving notification from Martha Cox, PP, PLS, as our Nominations and Elections chair. During the meeting, Martha encouraged us all to reach into ourselves and find a position in our organization where we can volunteer to move AALS forward. I encourage you to read the AALS governing documents, review the requirements of each position and each committee chair, and when Martha contacts you with a nomination from your peers (or you can simply nominate yourself) then say YES!
• The CLEC will soon begin planning the 2019 Professional Enhancement Retreat. If you have ideas, speaker or topic suggestions, food suggestions, or would like to volunteer in helping the committee in planning this event, please do not hesitate to contact Mimi (CLEC chair). Every member is encouraged to participate in this event, as it is low-key, fun, informative, and a great opportunity to network with your fellow members.
• The next deadline for The Informer is December 14, 2018. You will get an email prior to that date, but I remind committee members, EC members, and CLEC that according to the Guidelines for Officers and Committee chairs, you should be submitting reports to Christy for inclusion in The Informer. Additionally, we welcome CLE articles from members, chapter reports, member at large reports, and will also welcome any professional development reports.
As your top chef, it is now time to get your apron cleaned, utensils washed and dried, and your cookbooks ready for the next ingredient in our RECIPE FOR SUCCESS. Make plans to travel to Jonesboro in January, 2019.
And as always, if you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am your TOP CHEF and want to be the best top chef that I can be.